Hitachi was the main sponsor of Digitalization Forum 2018, which took place at Shaw Foundation Alumni House, National University of Singapore, on 8 May 2018.
Centered on the theme of “AI x Robotics Solutions for Service Innovation”, the event aimed to promote Japan’s artificial intelligence (AI) and robotic solutions in the service industry, with a focus on the medical and healthcare fields. As a gold sponsor, Hitachi delivered a special presentation centered on robotics and hosted an exhibition booth focused on healthcare solutions, which ran alongside the conference.
Dr. Amy Khor Lean Suan, Senior Minister of State, Ministry of Health, Environment and Water Resources graced the event as a guest-of-honour and encouraged guests to embrace the opportunities that longevity brings to Singapore and the region. Other guest speakers (listed below in order of the programme flow) delved deeper into fundamentals, trends, case studies, challenges and the benefits of AI and robotics through a series of speeches and panel discussions.
- Prof. Wong Poh Kam, Professor, NUS Business School; Senior Director, NUS Entrepreneurship Centre and Acting Director, NUS Overseas Colleges, NUS Enterprise
- Mr. Yosuke Okada, CEO/CTO, ABEJA
- Mr. Akira Fujibayashi, General Manager, Research & Development Center, Hitachi Asia Ltd.
- Dr. Hajime Asama, Professor, The University of Tokyo, Dept. of Precision Engineering
- Mr. Tatsuhiko Hayashi, Publisher of Nikkei Robotics
- Prof. Beng Chin Ooi, Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at NUS, Director of NUS Smart Systems Institute
- Ms. Selina Seah, Assistant Chief Executive Officer, Development, Changi General Hospital and Director of the Centre for Healthcare Assistive & Robotics Technology (CHART), Changi General Hospital
- Dr. Yoshihiro Muragaki, Professor, Institute of Advanced Biomedical Engineering and Science, Tokyo Women’s Medical University
- Associate Professor Marcus Ong Eng Hock, Senior Consultant, Department of Emergency Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
- Mr. Kelvin Tan, Programme Director, NUS Enterprise and Director of Business Development, SmartSystems Institute and Student Fellow, Hong Kong University, Sao Po Center on Ageing
- Mr. Laurence Liew, Director AI Industry Innovation, AI Singapore
In particular, Mr. Akira Fujibayashi, General Manager, Research & Development Center, Hitachi Asia Ltd., explained how advanced techonologies can predict and contribute to solving social issues such as the decline of the working adult population over time, and the rise of an aging population. He introduced EMIEW3, Hitachi’s human symbiotic robot, and highlighted visions of how it can safely co-exist and co-work with people in their daily lives, across a variety of settings.
Hitachi Medical Systems (S) Pte Ltd showcased an array of solutions centered on intraoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging (iMRI) for neurosurgical solutions and the concept of utilising AI in diagnostic imaging at their exhibition space. Through highlighting Hitachi’s strengths and capabilities in the medical field during the networking session, guests were able to learn more about Hitachi’s social innovation business. Other companies such as Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development (AMED), Klynveld Peat Marwick Goerdeler (KPMG), Toyota Tsusho Network Integration Asia Pte. Ltd. (TTNI), and two NUS startups also took part in the exhibition.
Jointly organised by Nikkei Inc. and NUS Enterprise, the event attracted over 220 guests.